HighDesign is a design and documentation tool for architects and design professionals working in the architecture-engineering-construction (AEC) industry. With a modern, intuitive interface and powerful drafting and design functions HighDesign combines computer-aided-design (CAD) features with advanced building-oriented tools.
The wide range of drafting, design and documentation functions and the sophisticated features of project organization allow the rapid production of concepts, drafts and designs.
A project in HighDesign is a complete presentation of drawings, views, details, information, images and layouts that will assist the user in the design workflow from the conceptual to the design and production phases.
Installation and Trial Version
HighDesign Trial Version
When you download HighDesign from the Ilexsoft website, the software launches as a time-limited trial version.
Limitations of the Trial version are:
- Operative for 30 days of use;
- Printed pages and exported images have a “HighDesign Trial” watermark;
HighDesign Trial lets you explore all the available features, including those of the Pro version such as walls, sheets, views, photogrammetry, etc.. At the end of the trial period, the application will no longer launch.
When you purchase a license, launch HighDesign and insert your Owner name and License Key into the License dialog. There is no need to download a separate package.
Install on Mac
The download version is a compressed Disk Image file (.dmg). Depending on your Internet preferences, the file could have already been expanded after the download.
- Once the file has been expanded, you should see on your Desktop (or your default download location) the “HighDesign” dmg file. Double-click it to mount the drive.
- To install HighDesign, drag the icon to a folder on your local or network disk. There is no required location; however, if you have multiple users on your computer, put it in the main Applications folder to make it accessible to all of them. Note that you will be required to log in as an administrator to write to the Applications folder.
Activate HighDesign and Remove the License on Mac
Launch HighDesign, go to HighDesign > Activate License… and enter name and license key exactly as they appear in the HighDesign Activation email sent from Ilexsoft.
Upgrade keys must be registered for the same name used in the previous license.
To remove the license, go to HighDesign menu > About HighDesign and click on the License button: select the license in the table, click the Delete button and confirm.
Uninstall on Mac
- Quit HighDesign. - Open a Finder window. - Delete the HighDesign folder from the main library:
- In the left pane of the Finder window, click Macintosh HD. - In the right pane, click Library, and then Application Support. - In the Application Support folder, find the Ilexsoft HighDesign folder, and then drag it to the trash
- Delete the HighDesign folder from your user library:
- In the left pane of the Finder window, click your user name. - Hold down the Option (Alt) button on your keyboard, click Go in the menubar, then select the Library option in the drop-down list. - Open the Application Support folder. - In the Application Support folder, find the Ilexsoft HighDesign folder, and then drag it to the trash.
- Delete the HighDesign application:
- In the left pane of the Finder window, click Applications. - In the right pane, find HighDesign folder, and then drag it to the trash.
- Delete the plist file:
- In the left pane of the Finder window, click your user name. - Hold down the Option (Alt) button on your keyboard, click Go in the menubar, then select the Library option in the drop-down list. - In the Preferences folder, drag the following file to the trash: - com.ilexsoft.HighDesign.plist
Install on Windows
After downloading the file, follow these steps to install HighDesign:
- Log in to the computer with a user account that has administrator rights;
- Double-click the EXE install file. You can also context-click and select Run As an Administrator;
- Click Next in the Welcome dialog box;
- Click on the “I accept the terms of this license agreement” button in the End User License Agreement if you agree to the terms;
- Click the Next button to install HighDesign in the default location;
- Click the Install button if you're satisfied with the settings;
- Click the Finish button when prompted;
- Launch HighDesign.
Activate HighDesign and Remove the License on Windows
Launch HighDesign, go to Help > Activate License… and enter name and license key exactly as they appear in the HighDesign Activation email sent from Ilexsoft.
Upgrade keys must be registered for the same name used in the previous license.
To remove the license, go to Help menu > About HighDesign and click on the License button: select the license in the table, click the Delete button and confirm.
Uninstall on Windows
To uninstall HighDesign, go to the Start menu (the windows logo) and follow the path below:
Select Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > HighDesign; Click the “Uninstall” button.
Since a project in HighDesign is a complex set of drawings, symbols, views, details and documentation elements such as annotations, tags, dimensions and non graphic information, it is very important that all these objects are arranged in categories with a defined hierarchy.
Also, the objects of the project are logically grouped through Layers and organized as separate drawings contained in Project Sheets. Project Sheets have their own drawing scale and units.
Project Elements and Object Hierarchy
Each item of the project has its hierarchy which allows to easily structure and organize the different parts of the drawings. Therefore we have generic and specific objects of the project.
The hierarchy of the items of the project classifies them as:
- Objects - any item of the project. It can be a line, a text, a wall, an image a title block, etc.
- Graphic Objects - 2D drafting objects and shapes such as lines, polygons, circles, curves.
- Elements - graphic objects with advanced settings (hatches, symbols, texts, annotations, dimensions).
- Building Elements - parametric components of the building such as walls, columns, doors, windows.
Objects, Graphic Objects, Elements and Building Elements are organized in Classes, usually corresponding to the tool options used to draw them: Line, Arc, Wall, Door are different classes of objects.
Classes of objects can have sub-categories called Families: e.g. swinging door and sliding door are different families of the door class.
The objects of the project can have abstract definitions of their parameters: Basic Styles, Graphic Styles (for the elements of the project) and Building Element Types (for the building elements).
Editions and Feature Comparison
HighDesign is available in three different licenses to best suit your needs: LT, Standard and a Pro version.
HighDesign LT is the light-weight, accessible CAD solution for everyone who needs the precision and power of a full CAD software, without the complexity of more design-oriented features and tools. HighDesign LT supports the DXF file format.
HighDesign Standard is a CAD program designed to provide the user all the most used drawing and editing tools. This version is intended for home and small office users who will benefit from its powerful functions, ease of use and tight integration with the operating system. HighDesign Standard supports the DXF and DWG file formats.
HighDesign Pro includes all the features of the Standard version, plus many others designed to increase personal productivity and satisfy the advanced needs of professional users such as architects and civil engineers. HighDesign Pro adds sets of design tools such as walls, columns, doors, windows geared for a professional, intensive use.
|Snaps, grid, alignments||•||•||•|
|Customizable page format||•||•||•|
|Linear, angular and area units, metric and imperial||•||•||•|
|Line-types, arrows and markers, pen-weights, fills, gradients* and textures (* Mac only feature)||•||•||•|
|Customizable line-types and hatches||•||•|
|Detail area, advanced printing||•||•|
|Project Element Properties||•|
|Walls, basic and compound||•|
|Callouts and Detail Views||•|
|Styles and Types||•|
|Floating panels and multi-monitor support||•||•|
|Customizable Side Bar||•|
|IMPORT & EXPORT|
|JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF||•||•||•|
|Import/Extract DXF/DWG Blocks||•|
|Export as PDF||•|